a heart that would bow down...

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

disengaged

something interesting the Lord has been teaching me over the past week or two: when we walk by the Spirit of God, we must disengage our brains. that's what my friend Misty reminded me when i called to ask her advice on my internship decision (ps... going to nashville this summer!).
so when i went down to the beach last week and got to hang out with her some more, we talked about it again. i'm pretty bad about using my brain more than my spirit, overanalyzing, thinking too hard about things. she brought up the point that when we use our brain, especially in relating to other people, we make judgmental decisions about them, whether those be positive or negative. but when we ask the Lord to tell us in our spirits, He can reveal what is really happening in those people's lives. this reminded me of the two recent suicides in auburn, both of which were people who were involved in spiritual community. so how many times do i walk by them, and by others, and just make a judgment from my brain that they're fine? oh, they're involved at church or somewhere, so i assume they're fine. it's so easy to be surfacey with people. i'm not saying that was the case, or the reason why with either of these two. but the Lord used it to remind me to look deeper and to ask Him to tell me, rather than just thinking something.
and this kind of follows that, but this little revelation came during my feature writing class: Information engages my brain. Experience and intimacy engage my spirit.
so the goal is not to learn more information, but simply to be with Him. that's when He'll reveal the depths of Himself.

1 Comments:

  • amen- the spirit is our source for truth and the mind/our sould is transformed by it. it all starts in our spirit- the core of identity which in turn changes how we thing (making thoughts obedient to Jesus in us!) thanks for the good word precious girl :)

    By Blogger Katie B, At April 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home